A marketing plan is essential for any business, big or small. While you are probably a small business, it is still important to have one. This outlines the goals that you have for marketing, what your achievables are, how you’re going to get there and what needs to be done to really drive your business home. This is important for any business that wants to get on their feet and really hit the ground running, but how exactly do you put this together? What comes in a marketing plan? What should yours have?
I made a video (link below) that outlines some of the sections that you should definitely make sure to have on your marketing plan. I also am giving away a FREE copy of a marketing plan template that I use.
You don’t have to use all of it, but it will give you a good idea of what you should have laid out for your business to have a successful marketing campaign. This will also help you stay on track better since you can see the goals and really break them down.
Sections of the Marketing Plan
You need to make sure that your marketing plan has all of the specific sections that will lay everything out for you.
- Who are you? What is your business? Why is this valuable to the customer or client?
- Who is your audience or target audience? – what person would use your service or product and why?
- Who is your competition? Why are you better to use than them?
- What kind of marketing do you want to do or think is the most effective when thinking about your target audience?
- Overall goals – main goal and then broken up into different goals
Remember to keep track of everything – you want to know how many followers you start with, how many jobs you get or things you sell to make sure you’re moving up and not down. If you are moving up, keep up the good work! If down, re-evaluate your marketing and do something else that works.
Tips for a Marketing Plan
These tips can help you create the best marketing plan and also make sure that you have actionable, attainable goals that you are able to reach when considering your marketing efforts.
- Use the SMART method (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-Based)
- Set up a strategy to reach the marketing goal you set up whether you are going to send out 10 letters a day or 20 emails to get 2 new clients, do it!
- Assess your resources. Are you using qualified people to help? Do you have a budget to do something bigger? Something better?
- Always establish time frames and stick with them. Know what you want to accomplish and when.
- Remember! Try everything! You never know what might work and what might not!
When putting together a marketing plan, create goals that are easily attainable and something that can help you grow. Even if your business is growing slowly, it is still growing! Of course, if you need help, make sure to contact me today and I’d be more than happy to help with marketing plans and making them actionable!
If you missed out on the video where I talked about what the marketing plan was and what it does, check it out here on Facebook!
Make sure to CLICK HERE for your FREE Marketing Plan Template!